I wanted to post a query from a concerned neighbor about an insect issue. First, I should outline some details. I post my availability for swarm removal on the BeeSource website on the SwarmCatcher list in hopes of finding the the giant swarm of awesome feral bees. Typically these rare events happen in Late April (wishfully thinking) until Late June. For some reason, perhaps because swarms are transient lasting no more that a few days, I rarely get calls for real swarms. I did catch one swarm this summer, from one of my own hives, mostly by surprise. Here’s a picture.
I do get calls and emails about home and yard invasions all times of the summer by both honeybees, and other similar related insect species. Here’s a good response (I think) from me, a beekeeper, regarding a random late summer, “Oh my! There’s stinging insects in my yard!”
Hi. It sounds like you’re talking about Yellow jackets, (I think.) Nesting in the ground and behind landscape blocks is not something honeybees do. I’m afraid I may not be much help for your situation. I can tell you it’s only a few more weeks and the problem will likely go away, Late summer they’re at their peak, but Autumns cold will soon put them to sleep. Next year they might be back but it’s also possible they’ll move by late next spring and build a new nest. (depends on the species and their life cycle.) I hope this helps, let me know if I’m not being clear about anything or if there’s other questions.
I’m working on the new product images for the 2014 honey season. There’s a new label for this year. Same general design, but with the web address to bring the product into the new millenium. Also a blank line for the source apiary. I’m hoping to make use of this feature to track locale of production.
After the weather cleared up and the sun came out, I visited two of my hives today I was surprised to find one of the hives was swarming. I waited and watched until they clustered on a branch then I went to get a step ladder and some other tools. Swarm was successfully captured and housed in a new hive.
I ordered an extra queen with my new packages that arrived last Friday. The extra queen was just in case of mishaps. After setting up all the hives, and checking back after a few days, All hives showed new eggs being raised, so all successful installs. Extra queen was indeed extra. I decided to try a split. The first time I’ve done a pre-planned hive split with all parts in place ahead of time. This picture shows the former one hive split in two. The one on the left has the original queen. The one on the right has the extra queen. Both hives are pointed toward the site of the original hive, but neither in the original place as suggested in my research. The idea is to cause the bees to decide,when they return from foraging which hive they want to be in. Stay tuned!